Coconut Gooey Butter Cookies
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box coconut cake mix
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 3/4 to 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Confectioners' sugar
- Cream butter and cream cheese until smooth. Beat in egg and coconut extract until
well mixed. Add cake mix; beat until well combined. Stir in coconut. If dough is
too soft to roll into balls.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours until easy to handle. Roll dough
into 1- to 1 1/4-inch balls; roll balls in confectioners' sugar to coat well.
Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets; flatten slightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-13 minutes. DO NOT over-bake.
- Take cookies out of
the oven when they look underdone. Let stand on cookie sheets 1-2 minutes; remove
to wire racks and cool completely.
- Store airtight.
Makes about 3 dozen.