This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add-ins (use 1 cup total): Nuts, chocolate chips. maraschino cherries, coconut
or raisins, optional
- Cream shortening and sugars. Add eggs. Mix well. Sift flour, then measure.
flour with baking soda, cream tartar and salt. Add to wet mixture. Add vanilla extract
and whatever add-ins you desire (optional).
- Chill dough.
- Roll dough into small balls. Press with fork.
- Bake on Pam-sprayed cookie sheets
at 350 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes.