These soft, spicy cookies are loaded with toffee bits and crystallized ginger.
Rolling them in turbinado sugar gives them a crunchy outside.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (packed) dark
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons dark robust-flavored molasses (do not
- 1/2 cup toffee bits
- 1/4 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 1 cup turbinado sugar (raw sugar)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 2 large (16 x 14-inch) baking sheets.
- Mix first 6 ingredients in medium bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter and
sugar in large bowl until well blended, about 1 minute.
- Add egg and molasses; beat until well blended (do not over beat). Add dry ingredients
and beat on low speed just until blended.
- Mix in toffee and crystallized ginger.
- Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Place turbinado sugar in shallow bowl. Using hands, shape dough into 24 balls,
each about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Roll each dough ball in turbinado sugar, coating
- Place 12 balls on each prepared sheet, spacing evenly apart.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes.
- Reverse cookie sheets and continue baking until cracked on top but still soft to
touch, about 8 minutes longer.
- Cool cookies on sheets for 5 minutes.
- Using metal spatula, transfer cookies to racks and cool completely.
- Can be made
2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.