Gingerbread Cookies in
a Gingerbread Bowl
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons
- 3 large eggs
- 8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy, about 1 minute.
With the mixer running, add the molasses, corn syrup, vanilla extract and eggs,
one at a time, beating until the mixture is well combined.
- In another large bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients. Add the flour mixture
gradually to the creamed mixture (the dough will be very stiff and you may have
to use your hands to get all the flour worked in).
- Divide the dough into quarters
and wrap each in plastic wrap.
- Chill overnight.
- Cover the outside of a 1 1/2-quart ovenproof glass bowl with a lipped edge with
aluminum foil, bringing the foil over the edges to the inside. Make sure the foil
is covering the bowl very smoothly. Spray the entire bowl with vegetable cooking
spray and set aside.
- On a floured surface, roll one-fourth of the dough into a circle 1/4 inch thick.
Immediately lift the dough and press it onto the outside of the bowl, molding it
firmly to the shape of the bowl without stretching it. Trim the dough around the
edge of the bowl with a sharp knife. Using a small cookie cutter, cut shapes around
the lipped edge of the bowl about 1 1/2 to 2 inches apart and about 1 1/2 inches
up from the bottom of the inverted bowl. A star-shape cookie cutter is good for
- Refrigerate the bowl for 1 hour, this firms up the dough.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the inverted bowl on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes,
or until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
- Cool the gingerbread on the bowl.
- When gingerbread is cool, carefully loosen the foil and lift the foil and gingerbread
shell off the bowl. Peel away the foil and discard; store the shell, uncovered,
in a dry place.
- Roll remaining dough to 1/8-inch thick, and cut the with decorative Christmas
cutters into cookies.
- Bake the cookies on a lightly greased baking sheet for 8 to
10 minutes, or until they are lightly browned.
Makes 1 bowl and 6 dozen small cookies.