Iced Molasses Cookies
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- About 6 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, divided
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cookies: In a large bowl, mix molasses, sugar, shortening and hot water. Stir to combine
thoroughly, although shortening doesn't need to melt completely.
- In a separate bowl, mix baking soda, ginger and cinnamon with 4 cups of flour.
Mix into liquids, stirring to blend well. Gradually add enough of the additional
flour to make a dough stiff enough to roll.
- Chill for 1-2 hours before baking.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Roll out dough to about 1/6-inch thick and cut shapes with your favorite cookie
- Bake for 8-11 minutes until done.
- Cool completely and frost with decorative frosting.
- Frosting: Beat egg whites until frothy, then beat in sugar and vanilla
Yield: 7-10 dozen, depending on size of cookie cutters.
Cookies can also be dusted with decorative sugar or sprinkles prior to