Iced Molasses Cookies
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup hot water
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- About 6 cups all-purpose flour, sifted, divided
- 2 egg whites
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, mix molasses, sugar, shortening and hot water. Stir to combine
thoroughly, although shortening doesn't need to melt completely.
- In a separate bowl, mix baking soda, ginger and cinnamon with 4 cups of flour.
Mix into liquids, stirring to blend well. Gradually add enough of the additional
flour to make a dough stiff enough to roll.
- Chill for 1-2 hours before baking.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease cookie sheets.
- Roll out dough to about 1/6-inch thick and cut shapes with your favorite cookie
- Bake for 8-11 minutes until done.
- Cool completely and frost with decorative frosting.
- To make frosting, beat egg whites until frothy, then beat in sugar and vanilla
Yields 7-10 dozen, depending on size of cookie cutters.
Cookies can also be dusted with decorative sugar or sprinkles prior to
Please SHOP HERE to support this site. We are an Amazon affiliate as a means of paying for the high cost of maintaining Recipe Goldmine. Thank you.