This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Italian Anisette Cookies
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon anise oil*
- 1 pound confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon anise oil*
- 1 tablespoon water
* One part anise oil is equivalent to about four parts anise extract. If you would like to use anise extract, substitute 2 teaspoons anise extract for the anise oil in the cookies and 4 teaspoons anise extract for the anise oil in the Frosting.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Cookies: Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. Make a well
in center and add remaining ingredients. Blend well, for a medium firm dough. (if too sticky, add more flour).
- Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours.
- Form dough into 1-inch balls. Place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Frosting: Combine sugar and anise oil. Slowly, by
tablespoon, add water until desired consistency.
- Dip cookie tops into frosting. Sprinkle with cookie decorations, if
Yield: about 18 cookies
Photo credit: steamboatwillie33 / CC BY