Italian Pignoli Cookies
Italian Pignoli Cookies are classic Italian-American almond cookies studded with
- 1 can (11 ounces) marzipan
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4
teaspoons almond extract or 3 to 4 drops bitter almond oil
- 2 to 3 drops lemon oil, optional
- 1/2 cup almond flour or very finely ground blanched
or whole almonds
- 1 egg white (jumbo or extra-large preferred)
- 1 1/4 cups pignoli
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two
- Break the marzipan in pieces into a medium-sized bowl.
- Mix in the sugar, salt, flavorings, and almond flour; the mixture will be crumbly.
- Add the egg white, beating until the mixture is smooth. If the dough doesn't
come together, dribble in water, bit by bit, until it does.
- Place the pine nuts in a shallow dish. Using a teaspoon cookie scoop, or your
lightly oiled or wet hands, drop 1-inch balls of dough into the pine nuts, rolling and
pressing gently to coat them thoroughly. You may also simply grab a handful of pine
nuts, and roll the dough between your palms, pressing in pine nuts as you go; the
point is to cover the dough with nuts.
- Place the cookies on lightly greased or parchment-lined cookie sheets, leaving
about 1 inch between them.
- Bake the cookies for 22 to 24 minutes, or until they're lightly browned.
- Remove them from the oven, and cool them on the pans for 5 minutes; then transfer
to a rack to cool completely.
Hands-on time: 15 mins. to 25 mins.
Baking time: 22 mins. to 24 mins.
time: 37 mins. to 49 mins.
Yield: about 34 cookies
Recipe and photo credit:
King Arthur Flour.