Jam Tart Cookies
Strawberry jam centers enhanced with a hint of fresh lemon flavor, these cookies are a must for the holidays. Use any shape 1-inch cutter desired; star for the holidays, etc.
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2/3 cup strawberry jam*
- Confectioners' sugar (for garnish - optional)
- Beat together butter and confectioners' sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. At low speed, beat in flour, cornstarch, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Divide dough in half. On a floured surface, shape each half into a 4 inch log. Wrap each log in plastic wrap; chill for 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut each log into 24 (1/8 inch) thin slices.
- Using a 1 inch cookie cutter, cut out centers from 24 cookie slices.
- Place whole cookies, 2 inches apart, on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Brush with water. Place cookies with star cutouts on top of whole cookies. Spoon jam into centers.
- Bake cookies until set, 8 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Sprinkle edges of cookies with confectioners' sugar, if desired.
* Or use any other flavor jam desired.