Jelly Topped Almond Bites
Yield: 3 1/2 dozen
- 1 cup soft shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked
- Cherry jelly
- Sliced almonds, finely chopped
- Beat together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and almond extract. Beat until blended.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Gradually add to creamed mixture, beat well. Stir in oats.
- Shape dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheets. Make a hollow in each ball.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for about 12 minutes. Cool on rack.
- Just before serving place a small amount of jelly in center of each cookie. Sprinkle with chopped almonds.