Lemon Ginger Zingers
Fresh lemon juice and zest combine with crystallized ginger to create a zesty
drop cookie dough. The finishing touch for the Lemon Ginger Zingers is a crunchy
topping of sugar-coated lemon peel, added just before baking.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, freshly grated and divided
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In bowl of electric mixer, cream together butter and brown sugar until light
- Add ginger, egg, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon zest; beat until combined.
- Gradually add flour mixture; mix well. Cover dough and chill 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining zest and superfine sugar; set aside.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoons, 2 inches apart, onto parchment-lined cookie
sheets. Dip the bottom of a glass into the lemon sugar mixture and flatten dough;
repeat for all cookies.
- Place remaining lemon sugar mixture in a sifter and sift additional sugar over
- Bake 9 to 12 minutes until edges begin to brown.
- Allow cookies to cool on sheet 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack; cool completely.
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container with wax paper between layers
for up to 1 week.
Makes 4 dozen cookies
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Molded and Shaped Cookie Recipes