- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup clarified butter, melted and cooled
- Grease and flour well 12 Madeleine shells.
- Beat eggs with salt until frothy; then gradually beat in sugar. Beat the mixture at high speed until very thick and lemon colored, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Fold in the flour, 2 tablespoons at a time, and the lemon peel, if desired. Add butter, 1 tablespoon at a time, and fold it in quickly.
- Fill shells about 3/4 full, and bake in a preheated 400 degrees F oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from shells to wire rack to cool.
- Dust lightly with confectioners' sugar, if desired.