This recipe makes deceptively light, notoriously rich shortbread cookies.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
cup cake flour
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped Mauna Loa macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil two baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, vanilla extract and salt together until
light and fluffy.
- Add flour and cake flour and beat until smooth.
- In a shallow dish, stir together macadamia nuts and raw sugar.
- Form dough into
1-inch balls and roll in macadamia nut mixture.
- Place 2-inches apart on prepared
baking sheets, and flatten slightly.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on rack.
Makes about 56 cookies.
Source: The Mauna Loa Cooking Treasury by Leslie Mansfield. © Celestial