Millennium Mocha Rocky Road Oatmeal Cookies
Yield: about 3 dozen
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (if using old-fashioned oats add 2 tablespoon additional flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups Quaker oats (quick or old-fashioned, uncooked)
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cookie sheets with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, beat butter and sugars with electric mixer until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla extract; beat well.
- Dissolve coffee granules in hot water. Add to butter mixture; mix well. Add combined flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Stir in oats, chocolate morsels and walnuts.
- To shape cookies, flatten 1 heaping tablespoon of dough in palm of hand. Arrange 4 marshmallows in center; wrap dough around marshmallows to completely cover. Repeat with remaining dough and marshmallows. Space cookies 2 inches apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. (Do not over bake; centers of cookies should be soft.)
- Let stand for 2 minutes on cookie sheets; remove to wire racks.
- Cool completely.
- Store tightly covered.
If desired, instant coffee granules may be omitted. Substitute 1 tablespoon milk for the hot water.
Source: $10,000 grand-prize winner in the 10th annual Quaker Oatmeal "Bake It Better With Oats" recipe contest