Yield: 4 to 4 1/2 dozen cookies
- 4 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/3 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- Additional granulated sugar to coat cookies
- In bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and cloves. Mix and set aside.
- In large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add molasses and mix well.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add dry ingredients, a little at a time, mixing until well blended.
- Shape rounded measuring tablespoonsful of dough into balls about size of a walnut. Roll balls in granulated sugar and place 3 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Do not flatten the cookies.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until browned around the edges.