Orange Oatmeal Cookies
Yield: 16 large cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1/2 banana)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour*
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (or 1 cup oatmeal plus 1/2 cup 4-grain cereal)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (see note)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins (or 1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In bowl, cream butter and egg together until well blended and smooth. Gradually beat in banana, vanilla extract and brown sugar. Add orange zest. Mix well with wooden spoon until all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- In large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, oats or 4-grain cereal, coconut, walnuts and raisins or chocolate chips. Use wooden spoon to combine dry ingredients until they are blended well and evenly distributed. Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix thoroughly until there is no sign of dryness.
- Very lightly butter baking sheet, drop heaping tablespoon of dough onto greased sheet 2 inches apart, and press down lightly against dough to flatten.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
* Whole-wheat pastry flour and unsweetened coconut can be found in health food stores.