Orange Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup mashed ripe
banana (about 1/2 banana)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed brown
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour (see note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned
rolled oats (or 1 cup oatmeal plus 1/2 cup 4-grain cereal)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened
shredded coconut (see note)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
(or 1/2 cup chocolate chips)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In bowl, cream butter and egg together until well blended and smooth. Gradually
beat in banana, vanilla extract and brown sugar. Add orange zest. Mix well with
wooden spoon until all ingredients are thoroughly blended.
- In large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, oats or 4-grain cereal, coconut,
walnuts and raisins or chocolate chips. Use wooden spoon to combine dry ingredients
until they are blended well and evenly distributed. Stir dry ingredients into wet
ingredients and mix thoroughly until there is no sign of dryness.
- Very lightly butter baking sheet, drop heaping tablespoon of dough onto greased
sheet 2 inches apart, and press down lightly against dough to flatten.
- Bake 20 minutes
or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack.
Makes 16 large cookies.
Whole-wheat pastry flour and unsweetened coconut can be found in health
Posted by Annette at Recipe Goldmine 5/12/02 12:51:45 pm.
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.