Peanut Butter Sandies
These truly melt in your mouth. You can substitute almond, pistachio or cashew butter and the corresponding nut for the peanut butter and chopped peanuts.
Yield: about 32 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 7/8 cup (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped peanuts
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and peanut butter until light and fluffy.
- Add confectioners' sugar and brown sugar; beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Beat in vanilla extract and egg.
- With mixer on low speed, gradually beat in reserved flour mixture.
- Fold in peanuts by hand.
- Form dough into 1 1/4 inch balls. Place balls, 2 inches apart, on baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Using your lightly floured palm, flatten each ball into a disk about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- Bake in a 350 degrees F oven about 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Let cookies cool slightly on baking sheet, then use a spatula to transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container up to one week.