These are spicy German cookies. This recipe makes a huge batch which is wonderful
for gift giving with plenty left. These travel and mail well.
- 8 ounces candied citron
- 4 ounces candied orange peel
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon
ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon aniseeds
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons
butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 1/2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Coarsely grind citron and orange peel with grinder fitted with coarse blade;
- Sift flour with cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg, baking soda and pepper.
sprinkle anise seeds over flour mixture. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl with electric mixer at medium speed, beat egg yolks with
butter and lemon peel until smooth. Reduce speed to low and beat in granulated sugar.
- Beat egg whites in clean mixer bowl with electric mixer or by hand until stiff
peaks form. On low speed of electric mixer, gently fold reserved egg yolk mixture
into beaten egg whites. Blend in reserved flour mixture, using your hands. Blend
in reserved coarsely ground candied citron and orange peel.
- Shape dough into balls
the size of a small walnut; place balls, 1 inch apart, on ungreased baking sheets.
- Let stand, uncovered, 8 hours, or overnight.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until double in size
and lightly browned.
- Remove from baking sheets and let cool to room temperature.
- Mix confectioners' sugar with enough milk to form a thin glaze; drizzle glaze
over cookies. If desired, after glaze has hardened, shake cookies gently in paper
bag containing additional confectioners' sugar.
Recipe Goldmine is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. This is without any additional cost to you.