Pomegranate Jelly Almond Thumbprints
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup slivered almonds (6 ounces)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/3 cup sliced or slivered almonds, finely chopped,
- For garnish, optional
- 3/4 cup pomegranate jelly*
- Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish, optional
* or any other flavor jelly desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or leave
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl; set aside.
- Combine almonds and 1/3 cup of sugar in a food processor fitted with a metal
blade. Pulse until finely ground. (Be careful not to grind to a paste).
- Combine butter and remaining sugar in a medium bowl. Cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add ground almond and sugar mixture. Mix to combine.
- Add vanilla extract and egg yolks. Mix to combine.
- Mix in flour.
- Roll dough into walnut-size balls and place 2 inches apart on baking sheets.
Dip your thumbs in flour and use to make a deep indentation in center of each cookie.
- Whisk egg whites to loosen them and then brush outside of each cookie with egg white.
- Scatter a few chopped almonds on outer edge of each cookie if desired.
- Fill each center with 1/2 teaspoon of jelly.
- Bake until edges are golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven. If needed, immediately add another 1/4 teaspoon of jelly to each cookie.
- Let stand for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to cooling racks with a thin metal spatula.
- Dust with confectioners’ sugar if desired.
Servings: 4-5 dozen
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.