Soft Sugar Cookies
These are just like the soft iced sugar cookies you see packaged in the grocery store.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/3 cup colored sugar for decoration (optional)
- Icing and sprinkles for tops (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, shortening and sugar. Stir
in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the creamed mixture
until dough comes together. Roll dough into walnut-size balls. If using sugar as a decorate, roll the balls in
sugar now. Place them on an unprepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies 10 to 12 minutes, until bottom is light brown.
- Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.
- If sugar has not been used, ice and decorate the cookies when cool.
Yield: 1/2 dozen