Hawaiian Mocha Dream Squares (T&T)
Hawaiian Mocha Dream Squares are just wonderful. One bite and you too will agree that they are dreamy and delicious. It has a super creamy texture and a wonderful taste.
- 3/4 cup butter plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder (good quality)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons freshly ground espresso beans (finely ground)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups Graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup sweet shredded coconut
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly brewed hot espresso coffee
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate squares
- Line an 8-inch square pan with plastic wrap Leaving to ends longer than the pan to remove the dream squares easily.
- First layer: Melt 1/2 cup butter in a 2-quart pan. Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa, and 4 tablespoons of ground coffee mixing well. Add the beaten egg and vanilla extract, mixing until completely blended.
- Gradually stir in Graham cracker crumbs, mixing well (the mixture will be thick). Mix in the nuts and coconut and mix to combine (I sometimes add chopped maraschino cherries which adds a great taste).
- Press mixture into the prepared pan and chill.
- Middle layer: Beat 1/4 cup of butter until soft, then gradually add the sugar and beat until creamy smooth. Stir in only enough of the espresso coffee to make the mix smooth and easy to spread. Remove the pan from the refrigerator and spread over the first layer. Return to refrigerator.
- Top layer: Melt chocolate and remaining 1 tablespoon of butter in a double boiler and the remainder of the ground coffee, mixing to combine. Spread the mixture thinly and evenly over the middle layer.
- Return to refrigerator and chill for 1 hour until the top layer has set completely.
- Lift the plastic wrap to remove cookie to a cutting board. Cut into small squares that will give you 36 pieces.
Yield: 36 squares
Posted by BettyBoop at Recipe Goldmine 1/2/2002 3:35 pm.