Browned Butter Spritz
Browning the butter used in these traditional cookies adds extra richness and a nutty flavor.
- 1 cup butter
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Decorator sugars, if desired
- Melt butter in 2 quart heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until butter turns a deep, rich brown color (6 to 8 minutes). Watch closely.
- Immediately pour into medium metal bowl.
- Cover; refrigerate for 45 minutes or until butter is cool to touch and softly solid.
- Meanwhile, stir together flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spoon butter into large mixer bowl; add sugar. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy (1 to 2 minutes).
- Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until well mixed (1 minute). Reduce speed to low.
- Add flour mixture and milk to butter mixture; beat until well mixed (1 to 2 minutes).
- Fit cookie press with desired template; fill with cookie dough. Press dough into desired shapes onto ungreased cookie sheets. Sprinkle with decorator sugars, if desired.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool completely.
Posted by FootsieBear at Recipe Goldmine 8/29/2001 6:55 am.