Chocolate Spritz Cookies (T&T)
- 1 cup butter flavored Crisco shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder good quality
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (sift first, then measure)
- Reheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cream shortening until light. Gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until combined.
- Sift cocoa, baking powder, salt and flour together. Mix gradually with mixer on to the creamed mixture until incorporated.
- Fill press and form desired shapes on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake approximately 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned around edges.
This is a tried and true method of achieving consistency every time:
- Don't grease cookie sheets.
- Add flour gradually.
- Check for dough consistency before adding all of the flour.
- If dough is too dry, add 1 egg yolk.
- If dough is too soft, chill 30 to 60 minutes.
When I feel creative, I take whole maraschino cherries and place on top of a rosette shaped cookie, bake it and then drizzle with melted white or bittersweet chocolate.
I also enjoy experimenting with ingredients. I sometimes take whole coffee beans and finely grind them to a powder consistency and add it to anything that I make chocolate. The taste is outstanding. Give it a try and see what you think!
Posted by BettyBoop at Recipe Goldmine 10/27/2001 3:02 pm.