- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring (optional)
- Colored sugar (optional)
- Chopped nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy; add flavorings, egg and milk and stir until well mixed. If you wish to color the dough, add color now and mix well.
- Sift or mix flour and baking powder together, then add to dough (this is more easily done in two or three parts). Mix with hands if necessary as dough will be very stiff.
- Push dough into a spritzer gun and press shapes onto ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6 minutes and no longer.
Spritz cookies can be made into shapes by using a cookie press.