- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur)
- 1 teaspoon each orange and lemon zest
- 3 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg white
- Chopped nuts or dried fruit (optional)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line an 8 x 12-inch baking pan with nonstick foil.
(If you don't have nonstick, grease the foil.)
- In large bowl, cream together butter and 1 1/2 cups of the sugar. Slowly add
egg yolks. Beat well until smooth. Beat in Amaretto and zest. Stir in flour and
salt until combined.
- Spread dough evenly into prepared pan, flatten as smoothly
as possible. Brush top of dough with egg white; sprinkle with nuts or fruit (if
using) and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until brown, turn off oven and allow cookies to
sit in oven (with door ajar) for 15 minutes.
- Cut while slightly warm.
Yield: 3 dozen
Cookies can be made in a shallower pan, such as an 11 x 17-inch
pan. Adjust cooking time by 5 to 10 minutes.
Nutritional information per serving: 151 cal., 8 g fat (5 g sat.), 32 mg
chol., 18 g carb., 1 g pro., 0 fiber, 20 mg sodium