Chocolate Caramel Shortbread
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 squares semisweet chocolate, melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In large mixer bowl, beat 1 cup butter, sugar and salt until fluffy.
Add flour, mix well.
- With floured finger, press evenly into greased
9-inch square pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until lightly browned.
- In 2 quart glass measure, with handle, in microwave oven, melt remaining
1/2 cup butter on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Stir in sweetened condensed milk and corn syrup.
- Microwave on HIGH
for 6 to 8 minutes, stirring after each minute, or until mixture
turns a light caramel color.
- Stir in vanilla extract. Spread over warm shortbread. Drizzle with
- Chill until firm.
- Cut into bars.
- Store covered at room
Makes 24 bars