Chocolate Swirled Shortbread Cookies
I have been making these cookies since 1996. They are delicious
and very tasty. I love any kind of shortbread cookie, especially
if it's something different.
Vanilla Shortbread Dough
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold sweet butter cut into chunks ( do not substitute)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Chocolate Shortbread Dough
- 4 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate, chopped ( or semisweet chocolate)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dutch processed cocoa or unsweetened cocoa
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) sweet butter softened ( do not substitute)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract combined with 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals*
* this is optional but advisable or you can substitute orange extract and orange zest to taste for the vanilla/coffee mix. This gives the chocolate
cookie a wonderful orangey taste.
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Prepare cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Vanilla Shortbread: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar
and salt, cut butter into dry ingredients until evenly distributed
and it's the size of small crumbs (I use my food processor).
Stir in vanilla extract, and mix the dough shaping it with your
hands or in the processor until it comes together to form a ball.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and roll it out 1/4-inch
thick. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside.
- Chocolate Shortbread: In a double boiler melt the chocolate, stirring
until smooth and set aside and cool slightly. (microwave method:
place chocolate in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and heat the
chocolate on high for 30 second intervals, stirring after each interval
until smooth, set aside and cool to lukewarm).
- Whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa and salt in a bowl.
- Add the butter in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy
on medium speed of mixer. Add melted chocolate and beat until creamy
smooth. Beat in vanilla/coffee mixture (if using).
- Add the dry ingredients and combine until a dough forms. Gather
dough into a disk and flatten slightly.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out 1/4-inch thick (note: if
dough is too soft, wrap it and chill until firm).
- Place the chocolate dough on top of the vanilla shortbread dough
and with your hands gently but firmly roll the doughs together into
a log ( make sure there are no air gaps). Wrap the log in plastic
wrap and chill for approximately 1 hour or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and with a sharp knife, cut the chilled dough into
1/2-inch thick slices and arrange them on prepared cookie sheet 1inch apart.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden around edges. Remove cookies
to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in a good sealed container. These cookies can also be frozen,
wrapped first in plastic and then in aluminum foil.
Makes approximately 2 dozen
I sometimes melt bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler
and drizzle the tops with a decorative design.
Posted by BettyBoop at Recipe Goldmine 10/6/2001 12:35 pm.