Citrus Almond Shortbread
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup slivered
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter,
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons orange peel, grated
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Colored sugar for decorating
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, almonds, poppy seeds and salt; set
- Combine butter, sugar and honey in a bowl; beat until light and fluffy.
Add grated orange peel and egg yolks; beat until smooth. Add in flour mixture,
1 cup at a time; blend until incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half and transfer each half to a sheet of wax paper.
Using the wax paper, shape dough into two 12-inch rectangular logs.
- Chill logs
at least two hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- With a sharp knife, cut logs into 1/8-inch-thick slices and arrange 1/2-inch
apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until lightly browned
around edges, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer to racks to cool.
- To make icing, whisk ingredients until smooth and transfer to a sealable
plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a bottom corner of the bag. Pipe icing on edges
of cookie and dip in colored sugar.
- Store baked cookies in an airtight container for up to one week.
Servings: 4 dozen
Recipe and photo credit:
Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.