Fudge-Topped Almond Shortbread
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (12-ounce packages) HERSHEY'S
SPECIAL DARK Chocolate Chips or HERSHEY'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
(14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Beat butter, powdered sugar and salt in large bowl until fluffy. Add flour; stir
until well blended. With floured hands, press evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Shortly before end of baking time, melt chocolate chips with sweetened condensed
milk in heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until chips are melted.
Remove from heat; stir in almond extract. Spread evenly over baked shortbread.
with almonds; press down firmly. Cool.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or until firm.
- Cut into bars. Store covered at room temperature.
Makes 24 to 36 bars.
Reprinted with permission from