Lemon-Poppy Seed Shortbread
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2
teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (yellow portion
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2
tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Sift sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on low speed until
creamy and smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, zest and vanilla extract; beat
- Sift flour into a bowl. Add poppy seeds and salt; stir to combine Add dry ingredients
to butter mixture; with hands, knead until well combined.
- Form dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill at least 3 hours and
up to 3 days. (Or freeze up to 2 months; thaw in refrigerator before proceeding.)
- Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, remove dough from refrigerator; let sit at room temperature 15 minutes.
Roll dough between 2 sheets of wax paper to a 1/4-inch-thick rectangle (about 10
by 12 inches). If dough seems soft, return it to refrigerator to chill for 30 minutes.
- Cut shortbread into 3 x 2-inch bars using a knife. If desired, cut bars diagonally,
- Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets. Prick
shortbread with a fork; bake until pale golden all over, 23 to 25 minutes.
- Let cool
on wire rack.
Makes 20 cookies.
Posted by Annette at Recipe Goldmine 12/4/2001 7:48 pm.
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Shortbread Recipes