Maple Syrup Shortbread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 egg (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Shortbread: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch square pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour and mix
until just blended. Pat into bottom of prepared dish.
- Bake until shortbread is light brown, about 25 minutes.
- Maple Topping: Beat sugar, maple syrup and butter to blend. Beat in egg and vanilla
extract. Pour over shortbread. Sprinkle with walnuts.
- Bake until topping is set, about 25 minutes. Cool on rack.
- Cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.
- Store in an airtight container.