This rich Millionaire's Shortbread has a shortbread layer, a caramel layer and chocolate topping.
- 2 sticks butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for preparing pans
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for preparing pans
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (14-ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound good-quality milk chocolate
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Shortbread: Butter 2 (8-inch) square nonstick pans and coat with flour,
tapping off excess.
- Place the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor and pulse once.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture resembles peas.
- Press the shortbread mixture into prepared pans and bake until golden
brown around the edges, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Caramel Layer: In a heavy-bottom saucepan over medium-low heat, combine
the condensed milk and 2 tablespoons of butter. Slowly bring the mixture to
a boil, stirring continuously. Continue stirring over the heat until mixture
becomes thick and amber in color, about 15 minutes.
- Pour the caramel over the cooked shortbread and spread evenly using an
offset spatula. Cool to room temperature.
- Chocolate Topping: In a glass bowl set over a saucepan of simmering
water, melt the chocolate. When chocolate has melted, pour it over the
cooled caramel layer.
- Cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes, and then place in the
refrigerator to cool completely, allowing chocolate to slightly harden but
not get hard.
- Cut into 2-inch squares and enjoy, or store in an airtight container, at
room temperature, or keep in the refrigerator for a yummy sweet and cool
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 35 min | Yield: 24
Photo credit: (c) Can Stock Photo / stargatechris