Mocha Viennese Shortbread
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (unsifted)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup unsifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 teaspoon water
- 6 ounces coating chocolate or semisweet chocolate chips
- In a medium bowl, cream 1 cup of the butter with the 1/2 cup sifted
confectioners' sugar and the vanilla extract until fluffy.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour and baking powder with
a whisk until thoroughly mixed. Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press and a medium star No. 32 tip (or a pastry bag
with a star tip, or a plastic bag with one tiny bit of a corner
snipped off), make dough strips 3 inches long on an ungreased baking sheet. Place strips
1 inch apart.
- Bake about 7 minutes, or until very lightly browned around the edges. Cool.
- Meanwhile, mix remaining 2 tablespoons butter with the 2/3 cup unsifted
confectioners' sugar and the instant coffee mixture. Beat until creamy.
- When cookies are cool, spread a small amount on the flat side of one
cookie and cover with the flat side of another cookie, making a
sandwich. Repeat until all cookies are used. Melt coating chocolate or chocolate chips.
Dip about one-half inch of both ends of each cookie in the chocolate,
and place on atray lined with wax paper.
- Chill until chocolate is firm.
- Store in a tightly sealed container.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Shortbread Recipes