Strawberry-Almond Paste Shortbread Bars
Rich shortbread is the base for beautiful bars featuring sweet strawberry preserves
and a nutty almond streusel.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup packed almond paste (from 7-ounce roll), crumbled (not
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 jar (12 ounces) strawberry preserves
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line bottom and sides of 9-inch square pan with foil,
leaving 1 inch of foil overhanging at 2 opposite sides of pan; spray foil with cooking
- In large bowl, beat butter and granulated sugar with electric mixer on medium-high
speed until well mixed. Beat in flour and salt on medium speed just until blended.
Press 3 1/2 cups mixture into pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until top begins to brown.
- Meanwhile, in same bowl, mix remaining crumb mixture and crumbled almond paste
with fork until small clumps form; stir in almonds.
- Spread preserves evenly over hot base. Crumble almond paste mixture evenly over
preserves; press slightly.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until top and edges are golden brown and preserves are
bubbly. Using foil handles, lift bars from pan; remove foil from sides of bars.
Cool completely on cooling rack before cutting.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Cut into 8 rows by 4 rows. Cut each square in
Prep Time: 25 Min | Total Time: 1 Hr 15 Min | Makes: 32 bars
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): In step 2, bake about 25 minutes or until golden.
Nutrition Information: 1 Bar: Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 60); Total
Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 3 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 65mg; Total
Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 11g); Protein 1g
Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 0%; Iron 2%
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat Carbohydrate
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit:
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Shortbread Recipes