Sugar-and-Spice Shortbread Sticks
Rich shortbread gets a delicious twist with apple-spice seasonings and icing
- perfect for fall.
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 to 2 tablespoons apple juice
- In large bowl, combine brown sugar, butter, vanilla and egg; beat until light
and fluffy. Add flour and 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice; mix well. Divide dough in
half; shape each half into flattened disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap; refrigerate
about 1 hour for easier handling.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On lightly floured surface, roll half of dough at a time to 12 x 6-inch rectangle.
Keep remaining half of dough refrigerated. Cut dough rectangle lengthwise in half;
cut each half into 1-inch-wide sticks.
- Place sticks 1/2 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes or until edges are light golden brown.
Immediately remove from cookie sheets. Cool 10 minutes or until completely cooled.
- Meanwhile, in small bowl, blend all glaze ingredients until smooth, adding enough
apple juice for desired glaze consistency. Spread glaze on tops of cookies. Let
stand until glaze is set before storing.
60 min prep time | 2 hr total time | 48 servings
In place of 1 teaspoon of apple pie spice, use 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/8
teaspoon each of cloves and allspice, plus a pinch of nutmeg.
Use milk in place of the apple juice.
For well-shaped shortbread sticks, use the flat side of a ruler to straighten
the sides of the dough into an even rectangle. Use the ruler as a guide to cut the
rectangle neatly in half and to trim the halves into sticks.
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1 Cookie Calories 90 Calories from Fat 35
Sugars 7g Protein 1g
% Daily Value Total Fat 4g 6% Saturated Fat 2g 10% Cholesterol 15mg 5% Sodium
30mg 1% Total Carbohydrate 13g 4% Dietary Fiber 0g 0% Vitamin A 2% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 2%
Exchanges:1/2 Starch; 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 1/2 Fat
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Shortbread Recipes