Bear Signs (Old Fashioned Donuts)
This is an old-fashioned cowboy recipe.
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs. beaten
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In the first bowl, mix buttermilk, eggs, sugar and melted butter until well blended.
- In a second bowl, combine the baking powder, salt, cinnamon and flour.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the first bowl, stirring them together. This
mix should be stiff enough to hold a spoon upright; if not, mix in more flour.
- Knead together lightly for a minute or so, then turn out onto a floured board
- Use a rolling pin, empty bottle or the heel of your hand to roll out to about
one finger-width high (1/4 inch).
- Cut circles out with a small glass and set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour 1 inch of oil in a large skillet and heat to 375 degrees F. It's
hot enough when a bread cube browns in about 1 minute.
- Slide the circles into the frying pan and brown one side.
- Turn over and brown the other.
- Set out to drain on a plate covered with paper towels.
- Cover with powdered sugar and eat warm.
Posted by Elaine at Recipe Goldmine 2004/1/9 15:21.
Source: Rick Chris
Other Cowboy recipes you may like...
Texas Camp Bread
Cowboy's Beef Pie
Chuck Wagon Pecan Bread