Cowboy Beef Stew
- 2 1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 (12 to 14 ounce) package dried bean soup mix with seasoning packet (not quick cooking)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green peppers and onion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (14 to 14-1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 3 cups frozen diced or hash-brown potatoes (optional)
- Salt and pepper
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting Recipe Goldmine.
- Soak beans in water overnight in refrigerator according to package directions.
Reserve seasoning packet.
- Coat beef with seasoning from reserved packet.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot.
- Brown 1/3 of beef; remove from stockpot.
- Repeat twice with remaining oil and beef, adding additional oil as needed.
- Pour off drippings; return beef to stockpot.
- Drain beans; discard water.
- Add beans, tomatoes and beef broth to stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
cover tightly and simmer 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 hours, or until beef is fork tender.
- Stir in potatoes, if desired; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering,
uncovered, 5 to 7 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Makes 6 servings | Total time 2 1/4 to 3 hr
Nutrition information per serving: 509 calories; 16 g fat (4 g saturated
fat; 6 g monounsaturated fat); 91 mg cholesterol; 898 mg sodium; 46 g carbohydrate;
2.2 g fiber; 47 g protein; 6.3 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.8 mcg vitamin B12;
8.2 mg iron; 22.6 mcg selenium; 7.2 mg zinc
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Texas Beef Council
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Cowboy and Ranch Recipes