This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Cowboy Coffee Creme Brulee
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons ground coffee
- 3 tablespoons Sucanat or brown sugar
- Whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar until lightened in color.
- Combine the cream and coffee in a saucepan, place over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Pour a third of the hot cream into the yolk mixture while stirring rapidly
to prevent cooking the yolks.
- Slowly pour in the rest of the cream.
- Pour the mixture through a fine strainer into a bowl to remove the coffee
- Chill the mixture by placing the bowl in an ice bath or in the refrigerator.
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Pour the mixture into 8 coffee cups or ramekins.
- Place in a roasting pan and pour hot water halfway up the side of the dishes.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until the custard is set and a knife inserted in
the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the water bath and let cool.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle an even coating of the Sucanat or brown sugar
over the tops, just enough to cover.
- Place under the broiler to caramelize the sugar.
- Cool slightly and serve.
Posted by macklinda at Recipe Goldmine 2004/1/20 06:08
Source: Red Sage: Contemporary American Cuisine by Mark Miller