Cowboy Coffee Roast Beef
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4 pound) boneless rump roast
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
yellow onion, quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, halved
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups medium strength black coffee
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup red wine
- Heat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Make small cuts in roast; insert garlic halves.
- Heat the oil in a heavy roasting pan or Dutch oven, and sear roast on all
- Add the onions, tomato paste, coffee and water to pan roast for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees F and cook for 1 1/2 hours more or until roast
is done the way you wish.
- Remove the roast to warm serving dish; let cool slightly, then slice.
- Stir butter and wine into pan juices and serve with roast.