This post may contain affiliate links. Please see our
Cowboy Cream of Jalapeno Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 5 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and seeded
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion (about 1/2 large onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (about two large tomatoes)
- 8 cups heavy cream
- 1 bunch cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mince the jalapenos and set aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the jalapenos,
onions and garlic and saute, stirring, until the vegetables are soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the avocados, tomatoes and cream. Lower the temperature and return the pan to the heat, watching and stirring so the cream does not separate. Bring the soup slowly back to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes to reduce by one third and to blend flavors. Be sure to stir the soup occasionally to prevent sticking or scorching.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Just before serving stir the chopped cilantro leaves into the soup, reserving
some for garnish.
- Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with remaining cilantro.
Source: Chef Grady Spears