Cowboy Hot Pot
Cowboy Hot Pot is pure comfort food.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 sweet potato or 2 carrots, chopped
- Scant 1/2 cup chopped green beans
- 1 (14 ounce) can baked beans
- 1 (7 ounce) can corn, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon barbecue spice seasoning
- 4 ounces smoked cheese, diced
- 1 pound potatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onion, pepper and sweet potato or carrots until softened but not browned.
- Add the green beans, baked beans, corn and their liquid, tomato paste and barbecue spice seasoning. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to an ovenproof casserole. Sprinkle cheese over the top.
- Cover the vegetable and cheese mixture with the sliced potatoes, brush with butter, season with salt and pepper and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown on top and the potatoes are cooked.
Photo credit: dulamae / CC BY
Keywords: cowboy, ranch