Cowboy Steaks in a Skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 poblano chiles, seeded and sliced
- 2 New York strip steaks, about 1 inch thick, trimmed
- Additional chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil and salt in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Mix in onion, garlic, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 1 tablespoon chili powder and crushed red pepper.
- Add 1 tablespoon water.
- Cover skillet and cook onion mixture 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and continue cooking until onion is tender and golden, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes.
- Add chiles and sauté until tender about 6 minutes.
- Transfer onion mixture to plate.
- Rub each steak with 1/2 teaspoon chili powder.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high and add steaks to same skillet.
- Cook as desired, about 6 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer to platter.
- Top steaks with cilantro.
- Surround with onions and chiles and serve immediately.
Source: Bon Appetit - January 1994
Keywords: cowboy, ranch