Deep Dish Cowboy Pie
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 tablespoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced green chives or green onions
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 ripe tomato, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt and vegetable shortening.
Cut shortening into dry ingredients with a fork or pastry blender.
- Add cheese, chives, then milk. Mix with a fork to form dough.
- Pat dough on bottom and up sides of a greased 10-inch plate.
- Roll out remaining dough and make biscuits. (Will make 10
to 12 biscuits.) Set aside.
- In large skillet, brown meat and onion.
- Drain grease.
- Add seasonings and tomato sauce.
- Put meat mixture into uncooked pie shell.
- Top with sliced tomatoes, mushrooms and cheese.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes.