Idaho Cowboy Beans
- 2 cups pinto beans (soaked overnight)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 (No. 2) can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Ham hock or boiling meat
- Cook all ingredients together except tomatoes, then add them after 1 1/2 hours
of cooking time.
- Finish cooking slowly and covered.
- Remove bay leaf after beans are tender and ready to serve.