Skinner Texas Rattlesnake Chili
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup cubed rattlesnake meat (or chicken for the less adventuresome)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped, or 2 (14.5 ounce) cans, undrained
- 2/3 cups (6 ounce can) tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups macaroni (or other favorite pasta), uncooked
- In 5-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil and sauté onion, green pepper and garlic until tender but not brown.
- Add ground beef and rattlesnake meat (chicken); sauté until done, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in spices, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, cover, then reduce heat and simmer about 2 hours.
- Before serving, add water and return chili to a boil.
- Stir in uncooked pasta; continue boiling, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Makes about 6 servings.