Slippery Sam's Cowboy Chili
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chiles, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon powdered red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- In a large skillet, brown the beef and drain.
- In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion, peppers, and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add the ground beef, crushed tomatoes, and tomato paste and stir well.
- Add chicken stock, chili powder, and remaining spices
and cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce the heat to low
and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes until chili thickens.
- Rinse kidney beans well and add to the pot. (If you like your chili with a touch
of fire, add hot sauce or crushed dried hot peppers at this point.)
- Return pot to medium-high heat and bring to a boil again.
- Remove pot from heat, let stand covered for about 10 minutes, and serve.