Texas Camp Bread
This is the original cowboy bread of the famous King Ranch, circa 1850's.
- 10 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 4 1/4 cups water
- Sift and mix ingredients together. Use lukewarm water - dough is rather
- Let dough set for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out into 1/4- to 1/2-inch rounds and cook in a hot cast iron, skillet
or Dutch oven which has been greased with bacon grease.
- Prick with fork and turn when browned.
Other Cowboy recipes you may like...
Cowboy's Beef Pie
Chuck Wagon Pecan Bread