Yellow and red apples make a wonderful candlelight decoration for fall entertaining.
- Paring knife
- Melon baller
- Votive candles
- Several medium-size apples, any colors desired
- Lemon juice
- Set one apple stem side up. Set the bottom of the votive candle over the
stem. With a toothpick, poke holes around the base of the candle about 1/4 inch
apart. This delineates the area to be removed so that the candle can fit into the hole.
- Using a paring knife, cut along dotted circle and straight down about three-fourths
of the way into the apple. Do not cut through the bottom of the apple.
- Using the melon baller, scoop out the core and insides. Trim the opening
with the paring knife to smooth any ragged edges. Rub the edges with lemon juice
to prevent browning.
- Repeat procedure with remaining apples.
- Place a votive candle into each apple. You can place the prepared apples
in the refrigerator until you are ready to set them on the table. This will
also help to keep the candles burning longer!
- Light the candles just before guests come to the table.