Diaper Cake Deluxe craft
- About 50 medium size disposable diapers*
- A 16-inch piece of heavy cardboard
- About 70 feet narrow ribbon for tying the rolled diapers (1 foot per diaper) and tying together the tiers
- About 8 feet of 1-inch wide ribbon for finishing the tiers
- 1 tall baby bottle
- Small candies to fill the baby bottle
- Adhesive tape
- Assorted baby necessities such as pacifiers, teething rings, combs, brushes, rattles, bibs, etc.
* If the sex of the baby is known, you can purchase printed diapers
for a boy or girl.
- Cut 48 feet of the narrow ribbon into one-foot lengths. Decide whether
you want the printed decoration on the diaper to show on the cake.
If you do, roll each diaper from the fold outwards, keeping the
decoration on the outside. If not, roll with the decoration on the
inside. Tie each rolled diaper with a length of narrow ribbon.
- Create the top tier by filling the baby bottle with the candy. Stand
five or six diapers around the bottle and tie them tightly around
the bottle with a length of narrow ribbon.
- Create the middle tier with about 15 diapers. Tie tightly together
with the narrow ribbon.
- Create the bottom, and largest tier, using about 27 diapers. To
make the tying simpler, first tie an inner circle of diapers together.
Then stand the final row of diapers around this circle and tie once
- Place the largest cake tier on the cardboard round. Using several
pieces of adhesive tape on the underside of the diapers, tack them
to the platter. Don't use so much tape that the diapers will
tear when the mother disassembles it. Place the second tier on top
of the base and attach with tape to the lower tier. Place the smallest
tier on top and attach as you did the other tiers.
- Tuck the various
baby accessories inside the ribbon, all around the cake. Make sure
they fit snugly, and tie with more ribbon if necessary to keep them
from falling off. Finish the cake with the one-inch ribbon wrapped
around each tier to help secure the accessories and provide a finishing