Asian-Style Beef Chuck Roast
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 cup beef flavored broth or 2 teaspoons beef base or bouillon and 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
- 6 green onions, sliced on the bias, white and green parts separated
- 1 (2 to 3 pound) boneless beef chuck roast
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 4 cups hot cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Spray 3 1/2 or 4 quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- Add broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce and gingerroot to slow cooker; stir with whisk to combine.
- Stir in green onion whites. Reserve green onion greens for garnishing; cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Add roast to slow cooker; turn to coat. Cover; cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or until very tender.
- Transfer roast to cutting board. Cool slightly; cut or shred, and return to mixture in slow cooker. Increase to HIGH.
- In small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and cold water. Quickly stir into liquid mixture in slow cooker. Cover; cook for 5 to 10 minutes or
- Divide rice among 8 bowls. Divide shredded beef among bowls of rice. Top with reserved green onion greens, cilantro and sesame seed; serve with lime wedges.