Heartland-Style Smothered Steak
Beef broth provides a simple addition to this slow-cooked beef recipe – perfect
for a hearty dinner.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- 2 pound boneless beef round steak, cut into 8 pieces
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1cup chopped onion
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 medium stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
- 1 cup Progresso™ beef flavored broth (from 32-ounce carton)
- 1/2 cup red wine or Progresso™ beef flavored broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- In 1-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag, place beef, flour, salt and
pepper; seal bag. Shake to coat beef evenly.
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat.
Add half of the beef; cook 4 to 5 minutes, turning once, until browned on all sides.
Repeat with remaining oil and beef.
- Spray 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In cooker, place onion, carrots and celery; place beef on top.
- In medium bowl, mix broth, wine, tomato sauce and garlic. Pour over beef.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 9 hours.
- Serve Heartland-Style Smothered Steak over mashed potatoes.
prep time 25 min | total time 7 hr 25 min | servings 8
Substitute 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained, for the tomato sauce.
Nutrition Facts: Serving Size: 1 Serving Calories 290 Calories from Fat 70
Total Fat 8g Saturated Fat 2g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 85mg Sodium 750mg Total Carbohydrate
14g Dietary Fiber 2g Sugars 6g Protein 35g
% Daily Value*: Vitamin A 80% Vitamin C 6% Calcium 4% Iron 25%
Exchanges: 0 Starch; 0 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Skim Milk; 0 Low-Fat
Milk; 0 Milk; 1 Vegetable; 0 Very Lean Meat; 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 High-Fat Meat; 0
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Recipe and photo credit (used with permission):
Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged
and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited.
>> Slow Cooker Beef Recipes